I just wanted to update quickly to say that I am doing okay. I had my gum graft harvest surgery yesterday afternoon. It took about an hour and went “beautifully” as the surgeon put it:) It was the weirdest feeling ever to have a completely numb lower jaw!
Thought you would enjoy a brief video of my little jumping beans from this week. They have been begging to do this everyday but I decided to save it for rainy and/or sick spells to save it’s magic charm!
I am half watching an old favorite movie of mine at the moment, “An Affair to Remember” (I love Carey Grant!) to distract myself from :
a)thoughts of my gum graft harvest surgery tomorrow. I had a dream last night that the surgeon caused some woman’s teeth to fall out and got disbarred or disbanded or whatever you would call it. It was such a pleasant dream.
b)the laundry that is begging to be folded. Today’s laundry makes 17 loads in the past two weeks because of all this illness we’ve been having….or the “plague” as I’ve heard it called:)
c)the dishes that need washing. because there are always dishes that need to be washed. always.
d)the grocery list that needs to be written so that we have food to eat in this house next week. Even if I’m not the one who will be eating it. sigh. (see letter a)
I guess that about sums it up! Say a prayer for me tomorrow please!! I will let you know how it goes.
And that someday he’ll probably disown me for posting this:
And that spending too many afternoons stuck inside due to illness and cold can make you use the most unlikely things as toys in a desperate attempt to get some boy-energy out..
And that jumping wears little boys out so that they sleep like bumps on a log.. And that they are so darn cute when they are all cuddled up, sleeping and worn out from above activities.
I’m just Sayin’.
It’s no wonder I have headaches every day with all of the little things going on in my life!! Yesterday was one of those “terrible, horrible, no good, rotten days” beginning with me starting to come down with pink eye, our internet going bad, Z throwing up all over the house, fighting with Samuel to get eye drops in, etc.
I just came from a long hot bath, hoping to soak away a little stress only to find that my computer outlet adapter may be going bad. And if it does, I’m outta business! Ugh! Just one of those seasons, I guess, where God tries to teach you patience:)
Today’s thoughts in random order:
1. Not so scared about my upcoming surgery on Thursday anymore. My housegroup prayed for me last week and I haven’t been afraid since. Maybe slightly nervous sometimes but I’m sure I’ll be okay.
2. I bought some gigantic bottles of shampoo and conditioner at Cosco today and I’m hoping I don’t drop one in the shower and break my toe. I’m pretty sure it would hurt. A lot. The last time I broke my toe was 2 or 3 days before my sister’s weddding. I had to walk down the aisle barefoot. I hope no one noticed…
3. I’m obsessed with Scholastic book order forms. Got some new ones from Samuel’s teachers and couldn’t resist ordering some more books. Who can resist books for a dollar or two? Seriously! I was deliriously happy when I ordered online and got to pick a free book.
4. Have decided to give potty training an effort again after we were forced into it yesterday when we ran out of diapers. Zakkai was very proud when he pooped on the potty and he looks so darn cute in his underwear! Will take this process slow though and start with the afternoons. Of course, I should change my mind since he peed on the couch today and wait until he’s 5 to potty train. Yes, definitely 5….
5. I feel so much better when I make myself workout even when I don’t want to. Definitely makes me feel less guilty about a snitch of chocolate or two throughout the day. That’s not canceling out the workout completely, is it? I should be rewarded for my efforts, right? Right.
6. Speaking of working out, I realized that my Shred DVD was in our old broken DVD player that we threw out after getting a new one for Christmas. I was very sad. For Jillian. For myself. Mostly for myself. Because the Shred was awesome and molded me into the body builder that I am today. Snort. But Shred really is awesome.
7. I realize after not having the internet for a day and a half how spoiled I really am. It was hard, really hard to remember 82 times throughout the day that I couldn’t get on and check email or facebook, update my blog, play a game or two…It was probably good for me to take a break. It’s kind of nice to be out of touch with the modern world for a bit. Maybe I should do it more often! Maybe…
8. SUPER excited that we might get a family vacation this year. I desperately need a break from things and we’ve never gone away as a family. We spend every break or “vacation” time traveling to see family (not that we don’t adore our families!!!!!) and it ends up being so busy that we come back more tired. I think we will go visit my grandparents in Florida. They’ve had a condo down there for years and we’ve never been! I wish with all of my heart that we had enough money to go to SeaWorld or Disney World for one day.
9. Do you have any idea how darn expensive it is to go to Sea World or Disney World for one measly day? Almost $300 dollars for 2 adults and 2 children. Seriously!! Isn’t that ridiculous? They should make coupons or something! Maybe someday we can do something like that. It would be so fun.
10. Speaking of fun, I’m off to bed. Aren’t I old these days? Speaking of old (can you tell my mind is a bit frazzled?), my dear beloved husband is about to turn the big 3-0! 30! Yes, I know 30 really isn’t old but it represents true adulthood to me. People have to take you seriously when you’re 30. You’ve left behind the wild 20s (not that we had wild 20s), the days of dating and college. No wait, get this. I knew Ben in ALL of his 20s. Isn’t that wild? He was 19 1/2 when we started dating! I’ve known him a whole decade! I’m getting old!
11. I need some chocolate. Gosh, it’s beginning to sound like I have an addiction or something….Nah…
We decided that we wanted to begin our weekend with another illness. This time we chose pink-eye because you know we haven’t been sick enough lately. Boy, I love preschool! What’s next? Lice?! (Ugh! I shudder at the thought!)
Poor Samuel just can’t seem to catch a break. I had to drag him to the dr.’s today, which he reeeeaallllly hated. Really. We had to work hard to convince him that there were no shots involved. It was much easier to take him to the dr.s when he was an unassuming baby. Ah, those were the days….So after a trip to the drs and a pharmacy trip gone bad, we made it home with some eye drops in hand and a bottle of bleach to kill whatever is infesting this house.
The boys caught up on the news while I made them dinner:
Oh, did I mention it was the comics?
Veeerrry important information in there!
“Let’s see what the top story of the day is…”
The perfect way to end a day: Ghirardeli hot chocolate with lots of whipped cream. And then some more whipped cream. And some peace and quiet to refresh my soul.
I hired some help to fold the laundry. It started out well.
And then it went to pot.
So pretty much they were no help at all.
Next time I’ll just do it myself.
I made some rockin’ soup tonight! At least we thought so and my opinion was highly bolstered by a friend who knows practically everything. So…rockin’ soup it is!
There’s something that makes me so happy about having a nice meal at the end of the day. Icing to the cake is when not only is it a good meal but the boys eat it, too. Especially the more picky of the bunch. (cough *Samuel* cough). We have been working hard on teaching Samuel not to complain. I tell him it is not nice for mommy to hear, “Ew. I’m not having that for dinner!” every night. I also have been asking him to tell me something he is thankful for and likes instead. I haven’t pulled out the “there are starving children around the world who would like to eat your soup” card yet. But there’s still time.
So imagine my surprise when I sat down to dinner and Samuel turns to me and says, “Mommy, this is really good soup you made!” AND on top of that, he almost finished his bowl. Makes my heart proud:)
*The measurements of the recipe are kind of vague because my mom basically gave me the ingredients without measurements so I made it up:) *
Debbie’s Pasta Fagioli (my mom gave me the recipe so she should get the credit!)
1 lb. gr beef or turkey (I used turkey)
diced onion (I am not a good judge of how much onion since I don’t like much!)
1 cup chopped celery
1/2-1 cup chopped carrots
2 cans beef broth
2 cans diced tomatoes w/ garlic, oregano and basil seasoning
2 cans beans (I used 1 kidney, 1 cannellini)
1 jar Prego spaghetti sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ea of italian seasoning, garlic and herb seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes
2 cups dried noodles (used elbow)
Shredded parmesan cheese
1. In a stockpan, brown meat in a TB of oil; add diced onion.
2. After meat is lightly browned (no longer pink), add chopped vegetables and cans of broth. Add tomatoes, beans and spaghetti sauce. Add seasonings and stir soup together. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender. About 30 minutes before serving, add noodles and cook until noodles are done.
3. Serve with shredded parmesan cheese on top and fresh bread!
Next I should share my recipe for Pear Custard Pie, which we may or may not have had for dessert:)