I’ve got some goodies to share with you! Well, maybe not the actual goodies, since we ate them all, but at least I have some recipes!
Ben and I stumbled upon the most ingenious idea last night as we were scoping for a new breakfast-for-dinner recipe. The boys and I found a few treasures at a garage sale on Saturday (their very first garage sale~sniff!), including an old, ugly box full of betty crocker recipe cards! Inside the ugly avocado-shag colored box are hundreds of good ideas, divided into categories.
How does this sound? Pancake Batter Dipped Apple Slices! Oh yes. The recipe called for Bisquick batter but I have scorned Bisquick batter since discovering the best pancake batter recipe ever. You can find that here.
All you do is peel and core 2 medium sized apples, slice them into thin (not too thin or they will break) ring slices and dip the apple slices into the pancake batter and cook on a griddle.
We served them with real maple syrup, and some maple sausage links. SO good! Why didn’t we think of it before??!!
Next up is a vegetable pasta dish that got rave reviews from all members of our family~except E, of course:)
Vegetable Medley (although I think it could use a snazzier name, personally)
1 box (16oz) medium shell pasta
1/2 bag of frozen green beans
1/2 diced red pepper
1-2 TB cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
3 TB butter
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1) Cook pasta according to package directions. Add green beans to noodles during last 5 minutes of cooking.
2) Meanwhile, combine the cornstarch and broth until smooth; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add diced peppers, mustard, basil and garlic powder. Saute until peppers are tender. Gradually stir in broth mixture. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
3) Drain pasta and green beans; return to pan and add mustard sauce. Toss to coat.
*Last time I made it, I added sauteed shrimp! Yummy:) Could also add chicken…
And something sweet to end with:) Because my enormous sweet tooth loves to share! This is a great dessert after a light, healthy meal like a salad…
Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcakes
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 TB sugar, divided
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (or I often use milk chocolate chips!
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, combine strawberries and sugar. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
2)In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 TB sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream and butter (reserve about 1 TB of the butter); stir into dry ingredients until a thick batter forms. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
3)Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with reserved butter and sprinkle remaining sugar over tops. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool and then split in half horizontally. Top with fruit and whipped cream.
4) Enjoy amazing strawberry shortcake ! We didn’t have strawberries last weekend and even enjoyed them with fresh blueberries!
I never said they were healthy, only delicious!